Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked Servers Trigger Proglems

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyd273

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
US
I have a linked server setup between MS SQL Server 2000 and MySql, and it works great for normal things like selects, inserts, deletes, etc.

However, when I tried setting up a trigger to update it automatically, I ran into problems.
The trigger looks like:

Create trigger subscription_insert on dbo.tblCustomerSubscriptions
for insert
as
set xact_abort on
insert into openquery(webdb, 'select * from tblCustomerSubscriptions') (CustomerSubscriptionID,SubscriptionID,CustomerID,SubscriptionDate,LabelName)
select CustomerSubscriptionID,SubscriptionID,CustomerID,SubscriptionDate,LabelName from INSERTED

I have identical tables set up on both the local MS SQL Server, and the remote MySql database, with the only difference being that the primary key CustomerSubscriptionID is auto-incrementing on the MS Sql Server, and isnt on MySql so that I can assign it the local value.

Local:
CREATE TABLE [tblCustomerSubscriptions] (
[CustomerSubscriptionID] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
[SubscriptionID] [int] NULL ,
[CustomerID] [int] NULL ,
[SubscriptionDate] [datetime] NULL ,
[LabelName] [char] (50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
CONSTRAINT [PK_tblCustomerSubscriptions] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[CustomerSubscriptionID]
) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

Remote:
Field Type Null Key Default Extra
CustomerSubscriptionID int(4) NULL PRI 0 NULL
SubscriptionID int(4) YES NULL NULL NULL
CustomerID int(4) NULL NULL 0 NULL
SubscriptionDate date YES NULL NULL NULL
LabelName char(50) YES NULL NULL NULL

when I try to insert into the local table with the trigger in place:

insert into tblCustomerSubscriptions (SubscriptionID,CustomerID,SubscriptionDate,LabelName) values (1,41614,'1/31/2006','tester guy')

I get the error:
Server: Msg 8524, Level 16, State 1, Procedure subscription_insert, Line 7
The current transaction could not be exported to the remote provider. It has been rolled back.

Any way to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back