Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked server to Progress database

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedgson

Technical User
Apr 9, 2008
GB
I am trying to set up a linked server in MS SQL server 2008 32 bit.

I have set up a system DSN which connects to the progress DB fine and I can use MS access/Excel to pull data back from the progress DB using the DSN. However when I am trying to setup a linked server in SSMS I receive the below error. I have followed the instruction in this article on the progress website

===================================

The linked server has been created but failed a connection test. Do you want to keep the linked server?

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExecutionManager.ExecuteNonQuery(String cmd)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.LinkedServer.TestConnection()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.LinkedServerProperties.DoPreProcessExecution(RunType runType, ExecutionMode& executionResult)

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "VF".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "VF" returned message "Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 8 (Progress OpenEdge 10.2B Driver).". (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

For help, click:
Server Name: CSSRVSQL
Error Number: 7303
Severity: 16
State: 1
Procedure: sp_testlinkedserver
Line Number: 1

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back