Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linked server issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnaa123

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
US
Hi All,
I have a linked server, for which I need to do the schema reverse engineering into ms-visio to know the relationships
How do I do that, any help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
krishna.

IF you are linked to the server that means you have permissions.

Just create DSN using ODBC and in Visio just point to the DSN.

Thanks mikeyb
I agree with you I am able to query the db table using sql analyzer, actually my problem is the link was made by some other person through attunity connecting driver using a profile we can querry as well as look into the db which is in vax vms system. I want to reverse engineer the schema when I try through visio and choose the dsn through odbc then it starts asking username and password, while creating the dsn it will just ask the profile to use and the database to connect through attunity connection driver but when i try to reverse engineer or try to import through dts the system is prompting for username. now my question is is there any way I can do the reverse engineering using the linked server rather than the odbc.

Thanks,
krishna.

What version of SQL server?
If your using SQL 7 there is a way to get the login info to the linked server.

Scratch that idea. It doesnt work anymore. It worked on 6.5 and old SPs for 7.

Sorry to say it but without a user name and password it is going to be tough or maybe impossible.

Someone might disagree with my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back