Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked Look up Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobChesh

Technical User
Dec 13, 2001
GB
I am now bald, but I used to have a full head of hair!!

I am trying to recreate a DlookUp type function in Excel. I have a list consisting of Primary and Secondary functions.

I am trying to get two dropdown lists to show these. The first (Primary) is easy, but the second is far more tricky since the list in the second drop down is a sub set of the first. By this I mean:

Primary Secondary
Dept A Sales
Dept A Operations
Dept A Admin
Dept B Stores
Dept B Security

So the first drop down select the dept (A or B) and the second needs to show a list dependant of the first. So if I selected Dept A in the first list, I would only get Sales, Ops and Admin in the second.

Oh, and I would like it to do all this without a button, like "On Lost Focus" in Access. Is all this possible in Excel?

hi,

You can use either a PivotTable or a QueryTable (MS Query) to return the second list, based on a seelction in the first list.

faq68-5829

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back