Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linked images in form - crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTC

Technical User
Apr 3, 2001
GB
I'm displaying jpegs on a form, storing the pathnames in a table. When moving quickly through the records in form view, message appears 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down - MSACCESS has caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL' etc.
This does not happen when proceeding slowly from one record to the next, or without the image control on the form.
Is it a case of my computer being too slow, or could something else be causing this?
Thanks,
Fiona

I've had this happen too!!! I don't think its the speed of the machine, though, I was on a pIII 450 with 256 meg of RAM. I was using Access 2000. Unfortunately, do not have a solution. I finally ended up taking the images off the form. Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com

Thanks Mike,
Just to add, it's Access 97 I'm using (on a Pentium II, 32MB RAM). The images are important - I don't want to part with them!

Regards,
Fiona

Fiona - I have the same problem. I thought mine was linked to a ShellExecute call (I have only gotten the error after using that API function)

I am searching for an answer now. If I find it, I will let you know.

Regards,
Bob

Could be a couple of things, but this problem can arise with 512 Megs of RAM, running at 1 GigaHertz. The Kernall problem may related to the age of the hardrive. I'm not sure if its advisable to "race" through image loading to begin with. But with RAM so cheap these days for $100 bucks you can have close to 500 Megs --

Hi there,
I ended up contacting Microsoft technical support who said that it is a timing error within Windows 95, and the only way round it was to move slowly from screen to screen. Not a very satisfactory solution, next to useless in fact. I'm using the DBPIX control from instead and it works fine.

All the best
Fiona

Thanks Fiona.

I decided to disable the record controls at the beginning of the subroutine that gets the picture file and reenable the controls at the end of the routine.

This prevents the user from selecting another record while the picture is being updated. It seems to work.

Best of luck,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back