Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linked database to oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

djam

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
CA
Is MS Access a good application for developing interfaces linked to Oracle???

I've been working on a project using Ms Access as the interface linked to an oracle database. It has been given me hell!!! I've had to use existing tables, which isn't the best data model for my design. All the things that I can do to Ms Access tables I can't really do in this situation. I can't use the normal navigation buttons and have to ulter it to get it to do what I want. Maybe the project is just a little more complicated then I thought. But I keep on realizing that if it was all in Ms Access, life would be a lot easier..... " ahhh computers, how they made our lives much simpler ;) "

I have 2 Access front end with Oracle back end applications. I moved my tables to Oracle due to the number of records. The volume exceeded Access limitations.

I found using ADO was much faster than using linked tables.

It depends on your specific needs.

You could always link the Oracle tables and then "import" the data from those tables to some duplicate Access tables. Seems like a redundancy and you also have the possibility of getting out of synch with the Oracle DB. Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back