Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Visio object to specifc place in Word document

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookiesql

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
SE
I am writing a process description in Word and drafting an associated process chart in Visio. I would like to link from the Visio shapes representing activities to the related activity description in the Word document.
In Visio I can set up a link to the Word dokument and there is a "sub address" field I think can be used to point to a location in the word document.
Does anybody know what to write in the sub address field if I want to link to:
* Page x ?
* Section x.y
* Bookmark z
in the Word file??

Anders

Hi Anders,

I haven't got Visio to hand but I would expect Sub-Address to be a bookmark name.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Hi Tony,
I found out how it works and that I can just enter the bookmark name. Now my new problem is that there seems to be a function in my company's word template that positions to the start of the document. Is this a changeable feature in a Word template?
So what happens now is that the linked Word file opens fine and positions briefly to the linked bookmark, but then immedeately jumps to the start of the document.
Anders

Hi Anders,

You will need to see what the template does to determine whether it is changeable - if you are allowed to change it you should be able to trap the location of the selection at the start of the code and restore it at the end.

Before any code runs:
Code:
[blue]Set SavedLoc = Activedocument.range(Selection.Start, Selection.End)[/blue]
And after all other code has run:
Code:
[blue]SavedLoc.Select[/blue]

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back