Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link TV with HDMI Card? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
I am puzzling on whether it is possible to view internet video and movies over a tv screen using a graphics card with HDMI port. It should be, correct?
I seem to remember that it is also possible to set up a computer to use two monitors. Do you think one could view different content on them, or would they show the same information?
Having looked at Apple TV and Roku for accessing online content, I am a little disappointed in the restrictions. It would be nice to just pick up what one wanted on the tv.

Of course, I guess you could also just build a basic box with a HDMI card, or no?

jlockley said:
I am puzzling on whether it is possible to view internet video and movies over a tv screen using a graphics card with HDMI port. It should be, correct?
Yes
jlockley said:
I seem to remember that it is also possible to set up a computer to use two monitors. Do you think one could view different content on them, or would they show the same information?
Depends on how you set them up. You can clone the picture to show the same thing on both screens, or you can extend the desktop so you can place different windows on the different screens.

jlockley said:
Having looked at Apple TV and Roku for accessing online content, I am a little disappointed in the restrictions. It would be nice to just pick up what one wanted on the tv.
What limitations are there? Granted I haven't researched Apple TV all that much so I don't exactly know what it can and can;'t do.
jlockley said:
Of course, I guess you could also just build a basic box with a HDMI card, or no?

That too is correct.

In fact I'm planning on doing just that. Build a small form factor PC that looks like a DVD player or home theater box, that can sit under the TV, and stream content to it.

Using a case like this Antec Fusion

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Perfect. The separate box idea is sounding more and more like what I want.

What limitations are there? Granted I haven't researched Apple TV all that much so I don't exactly know what it can and can;'t do.

Both are limited to specific services. You could not, for example, stream the ABC tv content over them. Apple basically allows you to show the on demand shows ($.99) from their services, perhaps some others. Roku has deals with Hullu premium ($10/mo, ca) and Netflix and permits UTube. Since Comcast is getting prickly about pricing to Netflix et all, and ATT will probably follow, you can expect those services to increase in price, unless the Supreme Court disallows differentiated pricing for access this spring or summer.
Neither of them apparently stream the shows on Hullu Basic.

This tells you something about Apple:
The WII (and I think X Box) also act as web receivers for TV.
This looks interesting. It would let me use my laptop as a tv receiver (on the wifi network).
- a bit pricey, though.

What components would you put in your box. Memory? Storage?
What OS would you use?

One thing I am concerned about is content protection. That's probably why Roku, apple et all limit content. I wonder if the receiving screen would block content.

I'm leaning towards Windows 7 Home Premium with Media Center.

As far as storage, and Ram. Probably a 80 or 120GB Solid State HD, with a 500GB sata drive for video storage (don't think I could fit anything else in there). If I get the 64 bit OS I'd go for 8GB ram, otherwise I'm limited to 4GB.

Since this is a small factor PC I'd need to see what small video cards I could fit inside. I'd just hook it directly to the TV, so no need for extra HDMI outs, but I would be interested in a TV in. To record video from my cable box.
It would definitely need a wi-fi card to cut down on cables. Though If I can relocate the my DSL router I'd probably use a wired Gigabit network card instead.

As far as content protection, I'd probably just be watching things from Netflix, and maybe Itunes. Though having the PC there would let me watch youtube, and other non protected videos directly as well.

Xbox has the Zune, and Netflix video services where you can watch TV shows and movies on demand. However, no way to watch Youtube, or other media from the web that I know of.
I use Zune from my Xbox.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I think Intel has a few micro format motherboards with onboard HDMI. WiFi on board would save space and probably money. That's no cheap system, though, all parts considered. Let me know if you do it. I am tantalized. You would also have an optical drive or no?

What about just a wifi connector (thumb drive) in the television's USB slot. Think anything like that could work?

Not likely to work, unless the TV can identify it, and even then, the TV would need some type of interface for it so you could browse the web or whatever.

I'm thinking it should not run me over 1000 to 1100 bucks. And yes a DVD+-RW drive would be in there:

1108 according to newegg, but I could probably go a little lower, if I use a HDMI-less motherboard, and replace that with a lower-end single HDMI out video card. And loose the SDD drive for a regular drive.
Code:
Qty. 	Product Description 	Savings 	Total Price

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

$19.99

Western Digital RE3 WD5002ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$78.99

TRENDnet TEW-623PI 32-Bit PCI Rev. 2.1/2.2/2.3 Wireless N-Draft Adapter

-$10.13 Instant
    $49.99
    $39.86

Athena Power AP-MP4ATX47FE 470W MicroATX / SFX12V / EPS12V / ATX V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready eMachines, HP Upgrades/Replacement Power Supply

$59.99

ADESSO WKB-3000UB Black 2.4 GHz RF Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Optical Trackball

$69.99

Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB

-$15.00 Instant
    $34.99
    $19.99

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

$64.99

MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard

$109.99

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

$199.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

-$10.00 Instant
    $119.99
    $109.99

Corsair Nova Series CSSD-V128GB2-BRKT 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

$219.99

SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel LC13B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

$114.99
Subtotal: 	$1,108.75

Phil AKA Vacunita

I actually built a system earlier this year, based on the Antec case you linked but the black fusion. I have a cooler master 500 silent power supply that is over kill, made for a dell upgrade, it has the longer cables you are going to want in that case. I used a gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l system brd.,E3300 2.5ghx dual core celeron,MSI 4670 video card,WD 80 g sata hdd, 2 Gb corsair pc2 6400,lite-on 24x dvd/dvd-rw,win7 ultimate x 64 because I had a free code. total was less than 600.00 usd. I don't use a tuner with it, I don't need storage, because I have a 2TB nas with 1gb enet backbone throughout the house. I use Boxee, because the software that comes with the antec is garbage.

I can stream any movies I have, or play DVD's through it, in fact it does it so well, I removed the stand alone samsung dvd player to the bedroom. now that bd-rom drives are about 50.00 I am thinking about adding one to it. It streams Hulu,ABC,CBS,NBC,Fox,comedy central, and others right through the boxee setup, and I have it set as one of the pc's for comcast xfinity and it streams that also. No need for a faster cpu,or more memory, I had an old x-fi setup for sound, but the 4670 has its own audio decoder, and built in hdmi out, so I took it out. but it does everything I need it too, stream content from anywhere to my HD LCD.

That's very cool rclarke, very cool indeed. Say, do you have any remote control recommendations? That would work with the PC? Other than a wireless keyboard of course.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Gosh. I actually got the Roku, about 10% of that, but considering that it doesn't work, you're better off. I am sorely tempted. Thanks.

Well I use the Fusion remote that came with the Antec, it works ok, but I have been tempted to get one of the logitec harmony remotes for windows. A friend didn't like the fusion remote on his system because he couldn't get it to give precise enough control in menus, it would go to fast so he couldn't stop where he wanted, but I don't have that issue with mine. I just hate the I-MON software that comes with it, and it has this annoying blue button that stays overlayed on the desktop.

Oh, if you are looking at the fusion case, with the lighted display it is not very good, they changed from a fluorescent tube display that was very nice to a back lit LCD, and the light seepage around the edges is horrible. I took mine out of the case and put very small strips of electrical tape around it to make it bearable.

This is levels above my pay grade, but a question: Is there a software which interfaces with the remote, or do you write your own.

Would your box work on Linux?

It does work on mythbuntu because that is what I originally had on the system, But I gutted it to build a system for my nephew, when I bought the cpu,and new mother board, and video card to replace the Asus system brd.,E5300 cpu,and the nvidia 9600 GSO to the system in there now, I wiped it,and went to windows 7.

Thank you. Above my paygrade for sure, but tempting to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back