Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

link to the features of Pdox ver10?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocmisc

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
In the links section on here the home page has expired. I'm still using Pdox 4.5 and would like to learn a windows programmable database (not Access, didn't care for that one). I've haven't purchased it yet but I'm thinking that Paradox would be the best simply because it's Paradox. However, I can't find any detail on it. Any thoughts on ver 10 or any other window's database would be appreciated.

Robin
rcotten@sparksco.com

Robin,

The link you're referring to pointed to the Paradox 8 product information page. That was taken down by Corel shortly after the release of Paradox 9.

In the meantime, Corel has, um, "demphasized" Paradox marketing. While you can still purchase the product, you can only obtain it as part of the Professional Edition of WPO Office or by picking up a copy from one of the auction sites (ebay, etc.)

Now, Paradox for Windows is *very* different from Paradox/DOS and there's quite a bot of relearning that one goes through when switching to the new version.

One the plus side, a lot of things that were difficult in the DOS product are much easier in the Windows version. Having said that, certain things that were possible in the DOS product aren't done the same way in the Windows version.

For example, the DOS product let you record macros and save them out as scripts. For many people, this was a great way to ease into programming, for the scripts would show how to do things with PAL.

ObjectPAL, on the other hand, is very different. It's closer to Visual Basic than it is to DOS PAL. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, per se. But it is different and takes some getting used to.

Now, Corel doesn't have a current link that decribes Paradox's features from the level you're looking for; however, you can find a Paradox 9 review that provides this information. It starts on and provides a good introduction.

The differences between Paradox 9 and Paradox 11 (the latest released version) are mainly internal. Corel did add a few things over time, but their buggest success was finally working out the printing problems that appeared in the 32-bit version of Paradox.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

P.S. If you really want to see what was posted at the broken link, you can find it at the Internet Archive (though you need to use a browser that has Javascript enabled). Go to for the details.

many thanks. So ver 11 is the new boy on the block? Is ver 10 ok? I only want to input, crunch, combine, and export numbers to ascii and have no interest at all in the internet features. Does it come with a real paper manual, one you can pick up and hold in your hands?

Robin,

Version 10 is fine for most tasks and little was added to version 11, other than bug fixes or tweaks.

While both versions come with a manual, it's nothing like the manuals that we used to enjoy with Paradox/DOS.

To be honest, there aren't that many good printed resources for Paradox for Windows, though many of the older third-party books still contain useful information. You can often find these at used book stores for next to nothing (FWIW, is a good portal to used book stores.)

(In the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that I helped write some of the manuals that shipped with Paradox/DOS 4.5, so I'm admittedly biased regarding the database manuals Borland published around that time. ;-))

In any event, your best resources for learning Paradox for Windows are the sites maintained by the community. See for my favorite sites, as well as a collection of others that are available.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

those 4.5 manuals are masterpieces, especially with my personal notes scribbled randomly inside. That was a great job that ya'll did on them. I even have and reference (once in a Blue Moon) the Ver 1 manuals because they were made of glossy, last-forever pages, even though the manuals were a funny size.

Two of the greatest add-on packages are the PR editor and the wbsLib2 toolkit. I can't operate without them.

I better stop before I talk myself into staying with DOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back