Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link TO MS SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

emax6

MIS
Dec 7, 2005
US
I am working on an applcation that link an MS ACCESS DB to some tables in an MS SQL Server.
The application is working fine, but is there a way to have the MS Access and other software on a PC and link it to an MS SQL that would be installed somewhere' and connected over the internet?
If this is possible, where sould I look to have more info.
Thanks in advance

look no further!

nah, just kiddin, keep looking...BUT

set up an ODBC Connection on your PC to a SQL Server

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources(ODBC)

Click on the System DSN tab and click Add > Scroll to last item SQL Server > Click Finish

Enter the information and the IP address of the hosted SQL server using SQL Login info

Now in access, you need to go to
FILE > Get External Data > Link Tables
Change the Files Of Type dropdown to the last item ODBC databases which will then prompt you for which ODBC you just created. Select the tables after entering password again, click OK...

the tables will be linked in access with the database owner name, so be awaare you'll have some name changing to do (dbo_tablename) to (tablename) if you have Access forms already built.

at that point, you can make your queries and forms and reports all in access, using data from a SQL somewhere else in the world.

If you need more help or have more questions or i completely missed your point, lemme know.

i have distributed 2 access databases this way, all talking to my sql server over internet.

Well,
If this become easy now. I was really looking for something more difficult.
Just have to find an easy way to have the user upload some binary info directly to the server some 20,000 miles away and I am done.
Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back