Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link to files on the Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel2228

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
I may be in the wrong forum for this, but maybe someone will see this and point me in the right direction......

I am setting up an employee web site, so that users can access files they have stored on our server, from anywhere.

Can I set up a link to access files that are not located within the web? but are just randomly located on the hard drive? For example, the main page comes up, and within it is a link to an Excel Spreadsheet located in someone's personal folder?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

yes you can, as ie and excel are micro$oft products, and as such they "know" how to interact with each other
to do so you need a server side language
so it all depends on which languages are available to you (ask your isp - admin - whatever ... ) and which one you fill more at ease with !!!
try the HTML & CSS forum maybe

thanks iza! i posted in the other forum.....

and as far as asking someone here.....well, i pretty much don't have that. we have our own server here, but they are all pretty much bumbling through getting it set up, and lord knows I dont know anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back