Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Tables with Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

bboggessswcg

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
US
Hello all,

I have an AS400 that I would like to link into an Access database. I am not an AS400 guy, but I am an Access guy. I set up a DSN to the AS400, but the problem is when I go to link in the tables I get an error with the table name. It looks like the table name is QS36F.C.ACTFIL. Apparently Access does not like this. What can I do to get the tables linked??

thanks in advance,

Bobby

Hi,

I doubt very much that an existing MS Access table has periods within it's name. Access naming convention won't allow it.

I don't believe either that you have opened an Access database and seen a table with this name.

Where exactly are you seeing the QS36F.C.ACTFIL reference?
Within which application are you seeing it? (Certainly not Access).

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience. darrylles@yahoo.co.uk

That is correct, Access naming convention will not allow periods in the name. I am seeing this name after I click on link tables and select the DSN that is connected to the AS400. The listing that is shown has this naming convention. Yes it is QS36F.C.ACTFIL.

Now, is there any way to link these tables to access??

I'm not an AS400 guy although I will be able to sell you one soon. Anyway where was I. What I'd do is ask your dba to set up a view with an Access-friendly name. You must be able to link to a view(?) Just one of the many reasons why you should always program to views/queries and not base tables.

Don't mind, I know nobody ever listens...

I connect (link) to our AS400 files all the time. What ODBC connection have you setup? What version of Client Access do you have? I only use the connection as Read Only, but have great success with ODBC connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back