Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link popularity is confusing me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartiums

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
GB
Hi :)

I finally think I have figured out how to link correctly to sites...

but when I check my link popularity I am confused...

I want to make sure that any links I have to my home page are updated to point directly to my domain (as I have heard this is better!)

It comes up with 2,940 pointing to
and .... pointing to

When I then click on the sites that are meant to be pointing to my index.htm - I can't find any that point to index.htm - they seem to be pointing to spartium.com directly...?

Any ideas?

Dont use those tools. That system is taking all the numbers from all the search engines and adding them up. That is a flawed number. Google, MSN and Yahoo do not show all of your inbound links, Yahoo currently does the best.

In Yahoo's search box type link:
That will give you the most accurate number.

If you do that same search in each of the major search engines you will see they all give you different numbers, Google being the least of all. Google does not want you to know the exact number of links because it helps aid in manipulating the searches by pounding inbound links to beat the next guy. They figure if we dont know exactly we wont work as hard to manipulate the links.

----------------------------------------
Florida Web Design
Orlando Web Hosting
Florida Coldfusion Hosting

Thanks Carl - I appreciate it...

Teeny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back