Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link mysteriously being commented out by browser!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acarruth

Programmer
Sep 7, 2003
US
Hi there,

I have a coldFusion generated page, and the following happens to one user on an IE6 WinXP system (I can't reproduce this). I believe the user uses ComCast internet service in the United States.

<td><p>Go to: <a href="index.cfm"> The Link</a></td>

shows up in his browser as:

<td><p>Go to: <!--ref="index.cfm" The Link --></td>

making the link disappear.. what mechanism would comment this out? The users says he has run a spyware search/removal tool and it came up with nothing. Could the ISP be doing something?

Thanks!

Indeed... it would be a simple task for an ISP to filter out any occurance of "<a h" with "<!--" and the same with the closing tag "</a>" with " -->".

You could look at a quick fix (until a proper solution comes out of the woodword)... put an onclick on the <td> (or wrap the text "The Link" with a <span> with an onclick in it).

Hope that helps you at this stage,
Jeff

Is it the only link on the page or are there more, and this is the only link that's being commented out?

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Can't think what motive the ISP might have for mangling your pages like this. I suppose it's possible (though unlikely) that the page became a bit garbled this first time your user loaded it, and has since become cached. Get him to hold down [Shift] and refresh the page.

Alternatively, if the page is being altered by the ISP for some inexplicable and/or sinister motive, try subtly changing the HTML to see if it evades the routine. For example, try this:
Code:
<td><p>Go to: <a class="x" href="index.cfm">The Link</a></td>

-- Chris Hunt

It is the only link being commented out.

Turns out the user (or, I suppose, the ISP?) has some software installed which blocks potentially malicious or privacy-intruding code.. the query string of the link had the term 'ID' in it, and I guess the software thought it was a tracking mechanism? When I changed 'ID' to 'id' in the link, it was no longer commented out.

Sounds like some shoddy ad-aware software, or even a virus.. who knows.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

acurruth,

Good catch. I have one suggestion (though you may already know this): Always use lowercase in your HTML tags and arguments. In order to be XHTML compliant, they all need to be lowercase. This might not make a difference right now, but it's good form to look to the future, when it might matter.

-Ron

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

murof siht edisni kcuts m'I - PLEH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back