Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Hotspot 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuneyej

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
US
Currently I have a Link Hotspot with the following text:

file:///G:/Folder/SubFolder

This works fine for most users, but some users are mapped to a different share with the "G:" drive designation.

Is there a way to use the server name in the path as opposed to a drive letter? For example...

///ServerName//ShareName/Folder/SubFolder

Something like this? I've tried, but I can't get anything to work.

Greatness is best measured by one's willingness to be kind. :)

I don't think so. You have to have a mapped drive to reference it like you do. I think it is a Windows limitation.
But, you could put it in a Notes database and have it accessible via HTTP. In which case, you could have a URL that would work for every user - not just the ones with the right mapping.
It requires very little programming to get it to work. I can walk you through the process if you want.

Pascal.

Pascal,

Thanks very much for the reply. I think I'm just going to use a drive letter further down the alphabet. Normally, I'd be happy to learn the process you've mentioned above, and I do really appreciate your offer to teach me, but Management wants the fix done yesterday.

Nonetheless, thanks a bunch.

JP

This works. I use it all the time. Make sure you use backslashes though!

@Command([Execute];"\\\\Server\\Share\\Path\\Filename")

By putting the backslash before another backslash tells Notes that the following backslash is to be taken literally. For example \\\\ reads as \\ to Notes. So as you can see in the example above all you are doing is specifying a nornal UNC path. You can also do the same for a mapped drive like this:

@Command([Execute];"G:\\Path\\Filename")

Hope this helps!

ABOzIT,

Thanks very much for this. I'll certainly use it in the future.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back