Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

link-flap error

Status
Not open for further replies.

integdep

MIS
Jun 11, 2003
FR
I have implemented Spanning tree on switches 2950 on two 3550.
Everything works fine, spanning tree is fonctionnal (I made tests disconnecting interface and giga ports are going from Bloked to forward state), but after 1 or 2 hours, one of the 2 giga interfaces on 2950 detect link-flap error and put the interface in err-disable state, the only thing to do is to reload the switche(then both interface are enable, one BLK, one FWD)

00:39:12: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: link-flap error detected
on Gi0/2, putting Gi0/2 in err-disable state

Any one has an idea ?

This is Cisco's description of the problem:

1. %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: [chars] error detected on [chars], putting [chars] in err-disable state
The interface has been put into the "err-disable" state because the interface has detected a misconfiguration or misbehavior. This action is a defensive measure. A recovery will be attempted after the configured retry time. The default retry time is five minutes.

Whilst misconfiguration is pretty clear I'm not sure what they mean by misbehavior, thats vauge.

Do you get any other messages in the log, have you appled any debugging to see what happens prior to this occurring?

Thx for answering,

I've found it was LX cable problem, changed the cable and the interface didn t get disable anymore.
Still have a bad ping reply when pigging vlan1 IP @.
And when int gig 0/2 is in BLK mode the ignored packet counter is raising fast and high, is it normal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back