Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Field is NULL from SQL Server of BINARY Data Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miked811

Programmer
Apr 17, 2005
CA
Hi,

I have several tables in SQL Server 2005 that I linked to MS Access 2003. Now, these linked tables have some fields that are of Binary Data Type.

When I open the linked table in MS Access, the fields with binary type shows NULL or Empty values, but in SQL Server they are not.

Please help.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

"the fields with binary type shows NULL or Empty values"

What happens if your query this linked table to
[tt]
Select Len([Your Binary Field])
From [Your Linked Table]
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi,

It shows the number 4 for the lenght of the information in the field for all records 12000+ records.

I'm sorry but I gave you the wrong info about SQL Server. In SQL Server it only shows <BINARY> in all the 12000+ records.

But, in the CRM Application, it shows the random information (characters) as wE?xAbCDE432Df for each 12000+ Records. They all are unique and never are the same since this field is the Primary Key.

Thanks

I've had to use views with a Cast to get Access to see this data...I don't think Access' standard odbc driver can convert this directly.

I vaguely remember something about Nz (null zero) being useful...

This might help you understand:

cat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back