Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

link data from ACT to a Blackberry? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

istone

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2007
US
Hi,
Is there a way to link data from ACT (ACT!Premium for workgroup by saga) to a blackberry?
Thanks in advance

Sure. Handheld Contact -
Puts the ACT! data (up to 76 fields) on the BB (including notes,hist,etc) and syncs every 15 minutes.

Also allows you to schedule for other users and add calls, sms and emails to the ACT! history

Let me know if you have any other questions on it... I use it myself

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

I checked the site you recommended but I was told to purchase CompanionLink Software, it much cheaper and does the same thing.
Thanks

Actually CompanionLink doesn't do the same thing. CompanionLinks is very basic - some of the differences include:
1) Handheld Contact is wireless, CompanionLink requires you to cradle sync - so you can get updates while you're on the road.
2) Activities scheduled on the device do not attach to contacts in CL
3) HHC can send 76 fields, CL has 4 custom fields
4) HHC will also record emails, phone calls and SMS sent from the device and sync them to ACT! history
5) HHC allows you to see other ACT! users' activities AND to schedule for them
6) HHC is centrally administered and supports OTA installs, CL requires it to be set up on each users' PC
7) HHC can support custom activities and histories in ACT!

There are other differences, but these are the main ones.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Yes you're right. But we purchased companionLink because we need the basic (adding, editing,...etc)and it's good for that.
Thanks

For contact's standard fields, it's ok... the biggest problem I have with it is in creating activities on the BB that don't attach to the contact and creating histories of calls/emails.... and also the lack of wireless sync.

But if those aren't important to you, it's a fair product for a cheaper alternative.

The extra fields and custom activities/histories in HHC are nice, and the central admin and scheduling for other users are probably only useful for larger sites

One of the things I like about ACT! is the range of third-party tools that provide different ways for different users and budgets to get what they need from the product.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Thanks Mike for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back