Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

link between sites intermittently doesn't work 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

apple17

Programmer
Jul 5, 2005
US
We have a site where the user logs in then gets transferred to a second site. Most of the time it works, however, for several users, when they go to log on a second time (often the next day), they get the standard "Page cannot be displayed...Cannot find server or DNS error."

On the 'calling' site, we say (I've changed the site URL only):

<input name="Confirm" type="button" id="Goto" value="Go To CME Site"
onClick="document.frmMemID.action='
The called site is obviously SSL and there are session variables used on the called site.

This is frustrating as it only seems to fail on a second login and only for some people. If I log on as one of the users that can no longer login, it works fine for me. So it's specific to the computer that they are logging on from. We don't think there are any firewall issues, especially since it works sometimes.

Ideas?

Thanks!

This is frustrating as it only seems to fail on a second login and only for some people

I have an idea of what it could be. I think your page is being cached by some of the browsers. You can check to see if this is the case by finding a computer that is experiencing this problem. In options in IE, there is a settings button on the first tab. Inside it says "Check for newer versions of the page:". Click always and rerun your program and see if it works.

To remedy this, put a value at the end of your query string that always changes. I use the current time. You may want to call a function on the onclick of the Confirm button. Make the function like so:

Code:
function thisFunction() {
   var now = new Date();       
   document.frmMemID.action='[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.cmesite.com/cme/index.asp?userid=123&amp;doc=456&amp;rightnow="[/URL] + now + "'
   document.frmMemID.submit();

I had this same problem a few months back based on the symptoms you stated.

[monkey][snake] <.

Try
Code:
Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "no-cache"
Response.Expires = -1

Thank you both. I have done these, and all but one of my users have eliminated the problem. I still have one user that gets the blasted 'page cannot be displayed'...

And it's so hard to diagnose when you're removed from them.

I still have one user that gets the blasted 'page cannot be displayed'

He/she's probably an idiot and doing something stupid, or made setting changes to their browser. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the purple thing :)

[monkey][snake] <.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back