Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lingering issues in an otherwise perfect win2k install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras262

MIS
Jan 23, 2004
US
Hi there. I have a new install of w2kpro and install went great with the following exceptions. What I would like to do is first make it so each user can do only what I want them to do. The main group of users get internet, email and run ms office apps and have their own private directory that no one else can see or use. Thats it. The users in this group are not technicaly proficient at all. The other group gets regular user access with no restrictions. I would be grateful if someone could either a) explain to me how to do this final configuration and/or b) point me to a resource when I could obtain the info. I have no problem making the user's and groups. The problem i am having is a) restricting the groups andals how to make the privledges so that the group can only do what I described above. Emails are also welcome on this.. Many thanks...

Just put the apps you want first group to have on their menu? If they're not technically proficient, they won't know where to look for anything else. If this is one machine, how many people will be using it? Is it networked or standalone?

Hi Wolluf. Thanks for getting back to me. I have considered that. The problem is this will be used in an academic environment(i.e. in a single small classroom) and as such, although I could do as you suggested, I thought it would be better if there were litterally no other options as these kids have friends who like to tyinker etc. I am just trying to head that possibility off... I had thought(maybe i was missinformed) that I could do as I described in win2kpro. I hope I am not mistaken..

a friend of mine is letting us borrow his laptop. unfortunately he cannot remember his password to get into
win 2k. I tried to use a boot cd but windows does not boot
to the cd (it's a laptop without an internal cd so I'm using a portable cd drive connected via usb.)

any suggestions on how to change the password so we can use the computer? I click F8 when the ram is being counted but
all i get are safe mode options that still require a password? Toshiba Portege.

help!

Ask your friend.
Sorry, this is not a great site for security workarounds, or other tricks. There are a ton of other sites where the question is appropriate.
Best.
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back