Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lines not advancing using Fujitsu compiler 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

backseat123

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2005
US
I am using a Fujitsu compiler. My program is using the ADVANCING command but it does not advance the lines after I compile and run the program. When I compile and run the same program on a VAX system, it works fine.

Anyone have an idea why this is nor working?

Thanks,

backseat123

What's the actual code being used?

Here is a piece of the coded. All of the other commands workd except for the page and line advances.

300-MOVE-HEADINGS.
001121 ADD 1 TO WS-PAGE-CT
001130 MOVE WS-PAGE-CT TO PAGE-OUT
001131 MOVE ZERO TO WS-LINE-CT
001134 WRITE OUT-REC FROM WS-HEADING-1
001140 BEFORE ADVANCING PAGE
001141 ADD 1 TO WS-LINE-CT
001142 WRITE OUT-REC FROM WS-HEADING-2
001143 BEFORE ADVANCING 2 LINES
001144 ADD 2 TO WS-LINE-CT.

Thanks,
Let me know if this piece of code was sufficient.

tripps

A somewhat similar problem was covered here: thread209-680941

This problem is probably related to the vendor's implementation of that statement.

I must admit that I don't remember ever using WRITE BEFORE ADVANCING. I recommend you change your logic to a universal WRITE AFTER ADVANCING.

The only difference between BEFORE ADVANCING and AFTER ADVANCING on PCs is where the text vs control codes are in the record. With BEFORE ADVANCING, the LF(s) or FF is at the end of the record (text is before the control codes), whereas with AFTER ADVANCING, the LF(s) or FF is at the beginning of the record (text is after the control codes). I use BEFORE ADVANCING because that is the way most text editors/viewers treat the data.

There are other control codes, but standard COBOL syntax only supports FF and LF. "PAGE" gives a FF and "n LINES" gives n LFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back