Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lines in autoexec.bat ??? !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvinjmd

Programmer
Jan 23, 2003
US
i have a customer that have an old clipper app.. recently upgrade from win 98 to xp, and the aplication dont run... in autoexec.bat there a are a line that says "files=50 buffers=20..." or something like that... that anybody remind waht the line say??? so i cant append in the ini file of XP...

tanx in advance......
George MD

It's Autoexec.NT in XP, 2000 and NT Autoexec.bat no longer used with the aforementioned OS's. The commands you list are usually in the CONFIG.SYS (now CONFIG.NT)

HTH,

FBM

"If you want SQUARE work, you DON'T cut CORNERS!!!" ... :)

The modification you need to make is in the config.nt file - which is normally found in the c:\windows\system32 folder on an xpHome machine, or c:\winnt\system32 folder on an xppro one.

the line you need to change will usually be right at the bottom of the file already:
Code:
files=40
is the default (I think)

you should probably set it to
Code:
files=200

Don't set it to a value over 225 or it may be ignored.

Hope this helps

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Griff,
XP Pro config.nt is also in C:\windows\system32 or at least on all the PC's I set up.

George,
There are 2 issues with getting enough file handles. The Files= in config.nt which need to be set to a "reasonable" number, and the SET Clipper=Fxxx which needs to be set to a similar number either in the autoexec.nt file or a batch file that launches the app.

If you have access to the source and Blinker you can "burn" the runtime stuff in the executable.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Ian,

Thanks for that, my machine had XP Pro preinstalled - perhaps that's why it's in winnt rather than windows!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back