Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lines Across Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
HI all,
I have a BIG problem that won't go away.
My problem started when all of a sudden there were horizontal lines that ran all the way across the screen. Then there were these off colored box's that began to show up on the screen, when these showed up the computer would reboot every time.
They were rectangular box's. I have an integrated video and no place to put a video card on it. there is a place for it, but no video card would work unless it was a certain specific card, which I could not find, so anyway, I changed the MOBO with the exact same kind, thinking this would fix it. No joy. I still get the same problem.
So I bought a new hard drive, thinking there was something wrong with that. No joy there either.
I am still getting the horizontal lines running across the screen. What else can it be that would cause this? I'm still using the same memory chips, and processor and everything else, like usb card,
I have a Dell Dimension E310 Need help bad with this one, it is costing me quite a bit of time and money.

Thanks,

Jediwarrior

ur memory is faulty, the grafik is using Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0 and has no dedicated ram

jediwarrior

The E310 is a desktop. What type of monitor do you have (LCD, CRT, etc)?. If the RAM was bad it would usually cause blue-screening and an event to be written to the System log. MemTest86 (free) should show this. Another way to check is by swapping monitors.

My bet (if it's an LCD) is a faulty inverter, or bad connection inside the monitor (have you checked to be sure all cables are tightly connected?). is a great resource, but honestly, with the cost of new monitors being so low, unless you know exactly which part is bad and how to swap it I would recommend getting a new display.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I am using an LCD monitor, and I am using it on another desktop and not having any problems with lines there. Only when I hook up the Dell dimension E310 do I get the lines.

Not sure how the memory can cause this?

Jediwarrior

The display bits are stored in memory locations. The graphic chip throws address lines at the memory and the data output feeds back into it to combine the information in the form of integrated video output.

If you have a problem with a memory address line it can cause the problem. IIRC a data line problem would cause a screen with color errors. But you can also have problems with the graphic chip itself.

With whole line missing, and M/Bs swapped, memory would be the most likely cause.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I gotta agree with Lemon13 and edfair here, but would like to add that 'artifacts' (what you describe) can also be caused by overheating or both RAM and GPU, or wrong timing (ergo overclocking)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back