Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linear Column Gauge measurement form on Visual Basic 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisKataboman

Systems Engineer
Dec 28, 2023
GB
I have been trying to get help from someone on this.

I am wanting to develop a form GUI on VB 6.0 for a Linear Column Gauge for measurement purposes and statistical process control.

where I can connect a LVDT or Linear Displacement Transducer via RS 232 to read directly and measure in micrometre.

Can someone help me please.

- how do I go about it?

- an example of code in VB 6.0

Thank you in advance.

Do you really need to use VB6? Why not use VB.net or something more recent?

1) LVDT - presumably you have a manual for that - could you post a link?
2) What speed does the LVDT run at - how many start and stop bits?
3) Can you read as well as write to it? Does the manual tell you about the protocol?
4) RS232 - how are you connecting to RS232? USB or serial port. Most PCs nowadays don't have serial ports. You either need a serial card or a USB serial port. Which one are you using? These normally come with example programs. It will be similar to this MS Serial Link but that is for VB.net.
5) Make sure the RS232 device you are using can handle the speed at which the LVDT operates. Some of these devices run at awkward speeds which the RS232 devices cannot handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back