Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line trapped on hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant007

Technical User
Oct 29, 2003
GB
Hi all
We are having an ongoing problem with one of our sites.
Let me explain –

They have a Ip406 ver 4.2 using mostly Interquartz Gemini analogue speaker phones. They have a mix of 2 x ISDN 2’s and 3 x PSTN lines. They use the PSTN lines to make their outgoing calls.
They frequently call us complaining that they cannot get a line out. I dial in and find that 1 or 2 of their outgoing PSTN lines are on hold, but in further investigation the extension that instigated the call is on hook and not being used.
So it seems that when a caller finishes a call they hang up but the system does not release the line. I need to disconnect the call via System status. I have read through many tek-tips regarding Disconnect Clear, and tried to contact BT to check what the settings are for the disconnect clear or if it is on at all. Unfortunately I have come to a dead end, so far every BT person I’ve spoken to must think I speaking Dutch because they don’t seem to have any knowledge of disconnect clear or able to point me in the right direction.
I have decided to attack it from another angle and this is where I am hoping to get some help.
We believe that it is possible that the handset user maybe at fault in how they are using the handsets. It seems that a majority of trapped lines seems to happen when the user hangs up the first call and then quickly makes a second call. We believe that the user maybe quickly pressing(flashing) the switch hook(which seems can also be done by quickly double pressing the handsfree button).
So what we are hoping is that someone can tell us what settings we can change that would stop the user placing the call on hold if they stab the switch hook but won’t affect the recall button.

Thanks

Adjust the Flash Hook Pulse Width in the analogue extn settings, adjust it down, be aware you could break their ability to transfer if you shorten it too much :)

NTE-wave-logo-for-a4-header.jpg

Also if the Analogue lines are presented from the exchange as LJU (white BT box like you have at home) and not NTTP (Large grey BT DP 201,251 etc) they will not see the disconnect clear settings against the line :)

I think they are NTTP...When you suggest changing Flash hook pulse, should I be adjusting the Min or the Maz

I would take them both down by the same amount, that way you move the time "Window" down but keep it the same size, if you just adjust the max you narrow the margin :)

I see this problem generally when users are making lots of outbound calls
they have a tendency to bounce the handset rather than hanging up correctly, this will place the call on hold & can end up transferred to another external call.

If the other end of the call does not clear down ( possibly an auto attendant or similar) or the disconnect clear is incorrectly set this call will never clear, this can even happen with calls over ISDN.

pressing recall on the phone should retrieve the call from hold (multiple press may be req to step through all calls)

the only real solutions are :
1) user training, but old habits die hard
2) use phone manager, the users will be able to see when they have a call on hold & retrieve it
3) replace the handsets with digital handsets, Are analog handsets really the best option for people who are making heavy use of the phone?

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back