Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Side T1 cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayniematt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2004
US
How do I tell if I have any extra Line Side T1 cards? If I don't have any extra, how do I tell if there is room for more? How much should I be paying for a new card and installation?
Can anyone explain the terminology? Line Side would seem to be on the carrier side, I was told it is for internal lines, is that right?
Thanks!

a line side t1 is used for sending analog dial tone to a remote site.. you'll need a card on the other end to convert the 2 pair t1 back to a 16 port card. their is no way to tell if you have a spare in the switch without looking, you'll see a dual width card with a red light, if it's not programed.. you need any 2 slots that are side by side to put a new on in, and prices are all over the board. the cables on the rear of the switch also have to be changed, so it can take some time. and that install just does your end, the remote end is another matter depending on the switch or key system type

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

This is true, but some of this depends on the system you are installing the card in. If it is an 11C, the card is a NT5D14, and can be placed in any two slots. If the PBX is a 61 or 81, the card is a NT5D11, and the slots could matter. If your IPE shelves were cables out with 25 pairs per slot, or 16 cables per shelf, there are no problems. Older systems used a 12 cable configuration where cables were shared between slots. In this environment, slots can be interconnected using the same cable. For example:

slot 0 - Cable A
slot 1 - Cable B
slot 2 - Cable B & C
slot 3 - Cable C
slot 4 - Cable E
slot 5 - Cable F
slot 6 - Cable F & G
slot 7 - Cable G

In this setting, slots 1,2, and 3 are using 2 cables. The best solution here is to remove all 4 slots from normal use and populate the slots with 2 Line-Side T1 cards.

We use these cards for digital connectivity to an IVR. The ports are programmed just like an analog or 500 set. 0-15 in the first slot and 0-8 in the second. This gives you 24 channels, just like a T1. The handoff from the cable is now an RJ-48, just like a T1 from the carrier.

Hope this helps,

Scott M

pin out on that rj is pins 1-2 4-5.. for either system

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

When I added new Line Sides the last time I was told Nortel recommends starting with the even # slot, so it would go in 0and 1, or 2 and 3, etc.

i have never heard of that requirement, but yes either of those will work

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back