Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LINE SEQUENTIAL FILE RECORD LENGTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinOne

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
It appears that in our ancient MicroFocus COBOL Windows/DOS environment, when you have a file defined as LINE SEQUENTIAL (records delimited by carriage-return, line-feed), with a minimal FD and no RECORD CONTAINS clause:

1... when you READ a record that is shorter than what is defined by the "01" record description... it pads out the remaining positions with spaces (not surprising to me).

2... when you READ a record that is longer than what is defined by the "01" record description... it reads up to the the number of characters defined by the record description... and the remaining characters will be read by the next READ as if that were the next record.

My question is: I am curious as to whether this behavior is part of the COBOL "Standard" or is implementor defined.

Thanks

Implementor defined.

Of course, line sequential itself is an implementor defined extension adopted by most of the COBOL non-mainframe COBOL vendors.

Tom Morrison
Micro Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back