Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line selection problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickalty

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
US
Hello, everyone.

We've just returned to service a Merlin Legend R3 system that's been out of use for a year or so. I've installed it, run all the wiring and set it up and everything is working fine with one exception - the line selection on the operators phone.

The system has 7 outside lines and 12 extensions. All outside lines are set to all extensions.

On everyone else's phone, if you pick up the handset or hit "Speaker" it automatically gives you a dial tone in accordance with whatever line order I set after doing a '*14' program, and if an outside line rings and you pick up the phone it answers the call. While the phone is idle, too, the red light next to the first available line in order is lit. On the operators phone, though, no line light is lit when she's not on the phone, and if she picks up the phone or hits "Speaker" she then has to hit a line button to make or aswer a call.

What have I done wrong?

Thnaks, Richard

Check the Ringing/Idle Line Preference

Programming Codes
Ringing/Idle Line
Preference
On *343
Off *344

If you program it from Centralized Telephone Programming, you would press ANY line button, then dial *343

You may, or maybe not, be able to set it from the actual phone, by getting internal dial tone, and dialing #343

Do you have a local prefix of 344? Somtimes people hit the # button instead of 9, and then start dialing an outside number. If the prefix is the same as some feature code, hilarity will ensue.

Thanks, Tommy, that was it exactly. (And all the direct lines at our biggest clients plant are 344-xxxx so that certainly explains it too.)

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back