Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepainter

Technical User
Mar 11, 2009
US
Brief background - I have had my Partner system (home) up with no changes with two line running currently (Home Office & Home). Recently i have been missing calls on my Office line (Home no problems). Symptom: Rings twice and then stops, I have not activated the VM on that line and never had as I use a computer app to log my calls, VM etc. at first I thought it was my Application problem but I disconnected completely and had the same problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Hello, My next step would be to disconnect that offending line from all other equipment and connect it directly to a standard single line phone and see what happens. If the problem goes away, it is in the Partner or computer. If it still happens, you will need to plug in your phone to the phone company demarc to rule out your inside wire. At that point if it still happens, report it to the local phone company as it is not in your system or wire. Good luck.

I pulled the offending line (home Office) and plugged a standard phone in and it worked, so I am guessing it's a Partner issue ( I disconnected the computer connection). So now we know it's a Partner issue what can I do to correct it? It seems strange that the other line works including VM no problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Paul

switch the lines on the partner and see if the issue follows. you may have another line port you can put a line on and change the programming to use that port.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Thank you for all the HELP. I ended up turning the unit off, pulling the card out and reseating and then booted back up. So far its working again, will keep an eye on it.

Thanks Again,

Paul

Seems like that was a temporary fix. It is back at it again. I tried switching lines with home line and still does the same thing. I can make calls out but just can't seem to receive any. Stops after 2 rings. I tried a third line and still the same.
Any other suggestions??

Paul

So if the same condition occurred with the residence line plugged into the office port, my guess is the module has a bad line port(s). So you need to have it repaired.

....JIM....

Actually it's the other way around when I plug the residence line into the office port it works. When I plug the Office line into the Residence Port (which is working fine) I get the same symptom (hang up on 2nd Ring) Outgoing calls work on all lines.

Your responses are confusing! You said the business line worked on the single line set. Now you say the problem follows the line? If the line has the problem, verify your wiring to the MPOE. If the problem is still there, open a trouble report with your Telco to get it fixed!

....JIM....

Almost sounds like the phone system is picking up a noise from the (office) line. Is there DSL on this line? If so try putting a filter on the line before plugging into the phone system. From what you have said, the problem is happening on any of the line ports that you plug the line into. So it has to be with the line itself. Maybe inside wireing, static on line, short in wireing etc..

Well after further tips and Help I ended up disconnecting from the box outside and calling in on the office line and same thing suggesting an outside line problem which is a relief of sorts that the Partner System seems to be fine but my Phone Company (AT&T) that i pay religiously every month has a back log and will " try to get to me earlier but the earliest appointment will be Monday", as in the 15th, can u believe that? They won't even forward my calls to my cell phone as a courtesy. Anyway, thanks to everyone.

Paul

In order to forward calls, you need the Call Forward feature on your line, then you can forward your calls. There is also another feature called Remote Access Call Forwarding, that allows you to activate or deactivate the feature with an access number and PIN to the CO switch from anywhere. Utilizing those features gives you complete control of where your calls go even if your line is out-of-order! The feature is available in all 5ESS & DMS10 & DMS100 switches. Check with your business office for availability.

....JIM....

Tell AT&T "Thanks, since your service response is so poor, I'll be looking at other providers like VOIP service for my dial tone. They're cheaper anyhow, and call forwarding is never a problem."

I've been using VOIP dialtone for several years. They have some neat features like simultaneous ring (rings the hardline AND your cell phone) email voicemail messages automatically, and lots of other cool stuff.

You can also enter a "service interruption transfer" number and send calls to cell automatically if there's a hiccup on your internet connection.

And when the phone isn't working, you can go to the website and change the call forwarding immediately. And then you can go to the local store, buy a new box for about $25, and install it yourself and have it working in just a few minutes.

And best of all - it costs less than half of what I used to pay the hardwire dialtone supplier.

Win-Win

It's not win-win, if you have no Internet access to do forwarding!! With RAF, it can be called and accessed from any phone line to make the change.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back