Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line joing in corel draw 11 (x3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

icewalking838

Technical User
Nov 10, 2008
GB
Ive recently come over to using mac on a corel draw as our work have changed computers.
I found on windows when drawing lines i could easily join different separate lines which allowed me to fill them after word. I used the freehand tool to do this. However when i use the free hand tool now the option of joining one line up to another lines edge is prooving difficult and preventing me from filling the object.

Does any one know if there is a setting I should choose, bearing in mind the programmes just been installed, that allows the joining of a line to another ones edge?

I've not used Corel on a mac, so there may be some differences. But you can try either double clicking on the ruler or go to menu "Tools" : "Options". If you then get an "Options" window, look for Workspace : Snap to Objects. You probably want most of those options ticked. Especially Modes:Node. Also try increasing the snapping threshold if necessary.

However, if you're drawing lines that you intend to become a single shape, it may be easier for you to try the bezier tool instead of the feehand tool.

This may sound odd, because the bezier tool is really intended for drawing curves. But it can draw straight lines too -- and for what you are doing, it has the advantage that you don't have to join to the previous line -- it joins automatically as you go along.

Example -- assume a triangle with points A, B and C.

a) To create a triangle with the freehand tool you must click on A then B, B again, C, C again, and back to A. Then maybe you have a closed path which you can fill.

b) To create it with the bezier tool, you simply click on A, B, C and A again, then fill it.

That's four clicks instead of 6. Though you may still need to sort out the node-joining problem, to ensure the final node creates a closed object suitable for filling.

Another setting to check in the Options menu:

Workspace : Toolbox : Freehand/Bezier Tool and try increasing the "auto-join" pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back