Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line filters??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thephonelady

Vendor
Feb 27, 2004
US
Hello all- Any recommendations for good line filters? Customer has old Partner ACS in their house and 1 spectrum line. They have an issue with a hum on the line and I believe it is picking up some noise through the feed cable in the attic/ crawl space. The line from Spectrum is clear. The processor module is good- I swapped it with another in standalone and still same noise- Also checked the outlet and it test ok. I ran a separate 4 pair from the spectrum modem in the attic to the control unit and the line was quiet. Just laid it on the floor as a test to eliminate the feed cable. Before he has a shielded feed run I thought I would have him try a filter on each end. Thanks in advance- Eileen

A few questions:

Is the telephone wire run in close proximity to a florescent light or some other source of RF interference? Is there an intermediate access point in the attic (a hidden splice) or is the cable contiguous? Is the cable JK or CAT3/CAT5E?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Hi Dexman- Thank you for your reply. There are 5 25 pair cables terminated on 110 hardware in the closet with the Partner. 4 of them terminate in the crawl space on 110 to feed the stations in the house. One of the 25 pair cables goes somewhere else and I have no clue where. None of the cables are labeled. The 4 that terminate in the crawl space are running in a plastic conduit along with some reverse osmosis tubing. There is also AC ducts as well and no clear observable path as to what the cables may be coming in contact with. There are lots of light switches in the house and a panel of about 20 light switches on the main level of the house. When I left the line sounded better but still had a buzz on it. I am going to ask the IT tech to go out to the house with a single line analog phone and plug it in to the Spectrum modem and make a call lasting about a minute or longer. When I ran the test line cable from the modem to the Partner I just went off hook and it was clear. I did not make a call, just broke dialtone. When I got everything put back together and made a test call to the owner it sounded clear. We stayed on the line for about a minute or so then I heard a bit of static then a slight hum. At that point both the IT tech and I had to go as it was 7PM. The problem has been going on for over a year so the owner said let's leave it for now. I got to thinking about it and it almost reminded me of a DSL line without a filter to a phone. They are using Spectrum cable for the internet.

I'd be curious to read what the IT technician discovers.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Sorry for sarcasm Friday but since when did an IT tech ever discover anything?
All I ever hear from IT is "my network is flawless" or "there is nothing wrong with my server the problem is with your program"

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back