Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Breaking Spans with CSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dismayldream

Programmer
Sep 6, 2007
GB
I am trying to add line breaks via CSS inline styles so as to omit presentational markup from my XHTML document. Basically, I've got a simple block of code like so:

<div id="ctl00_MainContentPlaceHolder_OpAdminDisplayCtrl1_UpdatePanel1">
<span id="ctl00_MainContentPlaceHolder_OpAdminDisplayCtrl1_Who1Label">Region:</span>
<span id="ctl00_MainContentPlaceHolder_OpAdminDisplayCtrl1_Who1Text" title="Read: Right granted to user directly in operation 'ORANGE'.">Blurtal Region</span>
<span id="ctl00_MainContentPlaceHolder_OpAdminDisplayCtrl1_Who2Label">Branch:</span>
<span id="ctl00_MainContentPlaceHolder_OpAdminDisplayCtrl1_Who2Text" title="Read: Right granted to user directly in operation 'ORANGE'.">Internal Investigations</span>
<span id="OpName">Operation Name:</span>
<span id="ctl00_MainContentPlaceHolder_OpAdminDisplayCtrl1_OpNameLabel" title="Read: Read right granted as can administer rights">ORANGE</span>
<span id="OpCode">Operation Code:</span>
<span id="ctl00_MainContentPlaceHolder_OpAdminDisplayCtrl1_OpCodeLabel" title="Read: Right granted to user directly in operation 'ORANGE'.">BO 12 N003</span>
</div>

and I am trying to use CSS application to cause each pair of spans to co-exist on a single line, with a break - like so:

Region: Blurtal Region
Branch: Internal Investigations
Operation Name: ORANGE
Operation Code: BO 12 N003

Originally, this had been accomplished via the addition of extraneous <table><tr><td> elements, which led to some very cluttered code. I've experimented with CSS inline styles (only inline until they work) using the display:inline, display:block; properties, but I can't seem to get everything to exist in the requisite value pair.

Could someone point out how I can accomplish this task via CSS? Or if I'm going to need to add xhtml <br /> tags to accompish this task.

Thanks!

I would actually not use the div and spans and would opt for the definition list.

Why not do what Vragabond suggested in the following style:

<li id="whatever"><span id="title">Region:</span> Blurtal Region</li>
<li id="whatever"><span id="title">Branch:</span> Internal Investigations</li>
<li id="whatever"><span id="title">Operation Name:</span> ORANGE</li>
<li id="whatever"><span id="title">Operation Code:</span> BO 12 N003</li>

your style can be:

#whatever { your styling }
#title { your styling }

Hope that helps.

Why use so much code and tags that mean nothing when you can have it as simple as:
Code:
<dl>
  <dt>Region:</dt>
  <dd>Blurtal Region</dd>
  <dt>Branch:</dt>
  <dd>Internal Investigations</dd>
  <dt>Operation Name:</dt>
  <dd>ORANGE</dd>
  <dt>Operation Code:</dt>
  <dd>BO 12 N003</dd> 
</dl>
To me, much neater.

Thanks for your replies. Vragabond: I've tested the <dl><dt> code suggested, but the result is an indented list. Typically, the idea is to replace cumbersome <td><tr> syntax ala:

<tr>
<td><span ID="myspan">CONTROL NAME:</span><input type="textbox" ID="mycontrol" /></td>
</tr>

The span's are all automatically generated via an ASP backend - hence the reason it's a little verbose. Span's encased in <ul /> <li /> tags seem to provide more flexibility then <dt />'s which would have to wrap a <span /> anyway. What I'm still unsure about though is how I can fix the width of the <span>'s inside the <li>. Currently, unless the first span is exactly the same length as the second span - it looks all wrong:

Code:
li
{
   list-item: none none inside;
   display: inline;
}

<ul>
<li>
<span>MYSPAN</span>
<span>MYSECONDSPAN</span>
</li>
<li>
<span>MYTHIRDSPAN</span>
<span>MYFOUTHSPAN</span>
</li>
</ul>

This yields something like:

MYSPAN MYSECONDSPAN
MYTHIRDSPAN MYFOURTHSPAN

which is kinda poo if you want to reflect a form style fixed width for each element, e.g.:

MYSPAN MYSECONDSPAN
MYTHIRDSPAN MYFOURTHSPAN

Any idea how I'd accomplish this? Thanks again!

Using Vragabonds layout and some css (adapted from some working code, but not tested):
Code:
dl {
  	float: left;
  	width: 600px;
  	margin: 10px 20px;
  	padding: 0;
  	display: inline; /* fixes IE/Win double margin bug */
}
dt {
  	float: left;
  	width: 260px;
  	}
dd {
        float: right;
  	width: 260px;
  	  	}
Use floats and specific widths. Am I missing something?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

After testing - it looks even better if you float both dt and dd with float: left;.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

That's cool, and it works - but is there any way to get it working with ul/li/span's also? I thought I'd grasped the css 'float' style but obviously not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back