Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Assignment Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCGC

Technical User
Jul 22, 2013
CA
Hi,
How do I get a phone set for one of our lines (our fax line) to appear only (not ring)? I have set the extension to appear only, as per the options, but it still rings.

Under Sets/Line Access/LineAssignment/ show Line XXX and CHANGE to Appear Only.
If still an issue best to call a tech in.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks. That is what I have been doing but for some reason the incoming faxes still ring. I wondered if there may be something I am not knowledgeable enough about with the line used for our faxes.

Check the prime set setting for the line, if it has a set assigned it will still ring that set, set it to none.

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti/UCx

Only based on the DRT timer setting will the prime set ring.
DRT by default is 4 rings (3 old systems)
Prime set by default is the lowest DN on the system (i.e. reception phone usually)

If this is the case bumping the timer would help but telling the fax to answer sooner than later works best, no need for a fax to ring 10 times......suggest programming your fax to answer at 2 rings so it can at least capture caller id if your have.
Changing DRT is system wide.

Also are you sure you are programming the correct line?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Besides DRT, there are other reasons why calls would ring at the prime set.

Let's say the fax machine is connected directly to the line (and doesn't go through the KSU and an ATA). If the line is programmed to Appear Only on one phone and that phone happens to be the prime set for the line, incoming calls on that line will ring at the prime set. If it is the case, you should see "Line000 to prime" on the display of the ringing phone.

That does not make sense or I am not reading correct.

A prime set is a backup set for a line that was not answered.
The backup set should ring based on the DRT settings.

Only exception would be maybe if the Line is set to Auto Answer?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

If a line has no set assigned to ring, the prime set will ring immediately, regardless of the DRT timer. Setting the line prime to none will stop it from ringing.

Marv ccna
Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx
Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Thanks for all your input. I will do some more looking into prime set and lines.

An update - I set the line to 'none' for a prime and it solved the issue, just like you said. Thanks, everyone, for your input. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back