Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line appearances We all hate them 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidHinote

Programmer
Dec 8, 2016
US
Unfortunately I have a 9.1 essential system at a Catholic church that has line appearance buttons on 1416 telephones. They want to pick up the handset and just dial a number instead of pressing the line appearance button first. Can you still put the line appearance buttons as 1 2 3 etc and SA buttons after that on a 9.1? For some freaking reason this is a big deal.

Since some time (8.0 perhaps) you can place the needed CA buttons anywhere and not only on top. So yes, you can place it as button 15 and 16. Better would be to convince them to kick the line appearances.

Perhaps there is a friendly user to test it for a month.

Need some help with IP Office? CLI based cale blocking: SCN fallback over PSTN:

I've had to do it for a couple of customers, here's my take......

Assign the lines to the phone in the order you want them to be accessed for outgoing calls. Make them ring or not ring as desired. Label them Line 1, Line 2, etc. Assign 2 Call Appearances underneath the lines, label them Intercom 1 and 2.

Assign the extensions to the Main group, Collective Call Waiting with Queuing turned ON, but UNcheck the extensions so they do not receive calls through the Intercom/Call Appearances. You can program the Main group for Voicemail, overflow to an automated attendant, Night Service, etc. as needed

Set the Incoming Call Route to the Main group

DON'T teach the customer how to transfer calls, except for directly to a mailbox. Teach them to put the call on hold, which will blink on all sets like an old fashioned key system, and Intercom to the user that needs to retrieve the call.

I know churches are conservative but this sounds like a manual from 1960....

For the dial-out without having to dial 9 first or select a line you can create a Short Code of
?
Dial
50:Main

When they dial a number the IPO doesn't recognize as an extension number, hunt group number, or short code, the IPO will send what they've dialed out on 50 Main. In the 50 Main ARS table remove the 11 dial 911 entry as I've seen this as a problem multiple times. Create another short code of
Dial
50:Main

Notrel4Evers's solution is actually the Default for UK (& European?) systems & works flawlessly on a telephone network that supports overlap dialling (En-Block dialling needs a bit of tweaking but nothing major).
Line appearance keys are a total abomination & completely unnecessary, Anyone who thinks differently needs to be ragged kicking & screaming into at least the 19th century!

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

SIP Trunk Line appearance in IPO since 10.1 i think....

Also, MADN could be used to look like Trunk Appearance buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back