Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Appearance Forwarding from external 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterRobot

Technical User
Feb 17, 2016
TN
Hello,
Platform : IP Office 500v2 R9.1.2

When the receptionist leave his desk anytime, he want to push a button or type a short code that forward calls to another extension.
the receptionist own 1616 IP Phone, and have 6 Line Appearance for 6 Analog Trunks, when i set a Button to enable and disable Forwarding Unconditional , External calls ring on receptionist even its enabled.
Any idea to resolve the problem ?

what do you suggest , also need a status BLF for the trunks in use ? its complicated

You don't need BLF for the trunks in use, that's the systems job, if they frequently find themselves waiting for a free line, they need more lines :)

You can use line appearances in standard mode but you WILL have issues. It is that simple. System was not designed to work with line appearances. Whenever a customer demands line appearances I give them a speech that it is not suggested, they will have issues, nothing I can do about it. It is often enough to convince/scare them away from line appearances but it also covers me when they come back and say something isn't working correctly.

Are the lines set to the reception console for incoming call route? It should work if that is the case. It sounds like you just have the lines on the reception console, but may not have them pointed in incoming call route.

The drawback of this is that it will ring on the line as well as the first call appearance.

Telecomboy said:
The drawback of this is that it will ring on the line as well as the first call appearance.

You can get around that. Make an incoming call route go to a group. Put users in the group but logged out. Phone will only ring on line appearance and not call appearance. I do not know if it would let you overflow/forward doing it that way. Better to just not use line appearances.

If the customer has a requirement that causes you to think "I know I will use a line appearance key" you have almost certainly misunderstood the requirement.

you have certainly reached the wrong solution.

DO NOT USE Line appearance keys ,never, not even just this once they are an evil through-back to medieval times BC (Before computers) and completely unnecessary.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

as stated get rid of the line appearances, instead program lines to ring into a main hunt group then has the reception as the only member and then give her a out of service button that goes to another hunt group with this extension as the only member and make it sequential.

I've never had a problem with Line Appearances. Just make all the lines No Ring and build your Groups like normal. We come across a lot of Customers who NEED to be happy with Line Appearances

I've never had a problem with Line Appearances. Just make all the lines No Ring and build your Groups like normal.
No you haven't
making them no ring shows the 1st problem.
they ring for users that do not want to be receiving external calls, you have simply created a work around (which is to program the system to rout calls ass intended & then turn off the LA Ringer).

We come across a lot of Customers who NEED to be happy with Line Appearances
This is the The 2nd problem, you are failing to educate the customer as to why the line appearance keys are also completely unnecessary for them to be able to make outgoing calls they think they need them because their old system had them & without them it must be missing a feature.

This is the same false logic that NTSC tv viewers have with regards to the Hue control that was "Missing" on PAL TV sets in Europe.

16 years working on IP Office (& alchemy before it) 3000+ systems & i have yet to find one single scenario that cannot be achieved without line appearance keys or even made less complicated with them.

i will bet you a family pack of mars bars that you cannot provide me with one either.
appearance keys are as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

appearance keys are as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.
IPGURU man what a great saying, have some pink for the chuckle

IPGuru, as much as I respect your tele-wisdom, we're not preachers, we are Techs. No need to upsell our positions. We simply offer our professional suggestions, receive their feedback, and when the Client is bent on their requirements we try our best to stretch the system's capabilities rather than undermine it, which is at least how they may see it due to old solution comparisons. Then you're getting a call back because their pissed to have to learn something new (think Windows 8) after it's implemented. I agree Line Appearances may be an outdated function but workarounds are what we get paid to do at times. As a Tech you should be fine with hacking the solution so long as it doesn't produce a problem, which has yet to happen in respect to this "workaround." You can say you've never had a Customer upset for having to learn new procedures because the new function is "better"...I doubt it. We've all had them, and understandably so. We care that our Customers receive the solutions they expect without having to fight them

sometimes educating the customer to a better solution is the best route to go, he wouldn't be telling you this if it wasn't the best solution.

Aroldan is correct in this case. Set your appearances to no ring and, bingo. For most small customers this is a decent fit.

Ardolan
As you say there ares for our professional opinion.

unfortunately when you say to a customer you can do that but...
all they here is "you can"
sometimes it is beter to simply tell then "Not with this system"

as for the complaint for learning a new way of operating, if they cannot switch between, select a line then the number you require to just dial the number they are beyond help anyway.

Most of our customers have far more important uses for buttons that line appearance keys anyway.

we have a similar issue in the UK when the customer learns that 9 for a line is no longer necessary & ask can we have it anyway that's what our old system did & it will confuse the staff.
I can assure yu that the usual response form the staff is "oh that is much better"

I have even seen cases where the engineers have made the 9 optional & within weeks the staff have discovered this for themselves (because they often forget the 9 any way) & then forget that the 9 is even an option.

On occasions I have implemented solutions for a customer that I have advised against only to charge them for there removal 3 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back