Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limits 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Encino40

MIS
Apr 6, 2012
CA
I am a little confused as to how send/receive limits work. I have in the Organization Config- hub transport-global settings max receive and max send at 15mb.
Then in Org config - Send Connector I have an outbound connector which has a max message size set at 10MB.
Which one take precedence? If I want a user to be able to send say 30mb file I know I can go into their account and mailflow setting -message size restriction and put in 35mb but when they try to attach a 25mb file it tells them that exceeds the limit.

Setting a higher limit (than the global setting) on a single user's mailbox will only work if the message is being sent between internal recipients. When the message is coming from or going to an external sender/receiver, then the global limits will apply, and a higher setting on the user's mailbox will be ignored.

It actually sounds like you are running up against the mailbox-level MaxSendSize property being lower than 25mb though. Maybe you were adjusting the wrong thing on the mailbox.

- check out the yellow section near the bottom.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

I must be adjusting the wrong thing. So overwriting the value on each mailbox only helps internally?
For external I would set the Organizational COnfig-Global settings-Transport setting Max sizes to the biggest I want allowed? So if the biggest allowed I want is say 30mb I set that at 30mb but what about the Hub Transport in the Organizational Config. I have that set right now at 10mb for Max Message size. I also have the server config-hub transport-receive connector (I have one for outside mail) set to 10mb as well. This is where I am confused. Thanks for the help.

LOL I saw your post when I was searching and I am still confused.
It seems like you would get the org level transport setting to the max you want and use powershell to set the limits to everyone. Maybe put the people who you want to give the max to in a separate OU and use powershell to change their max send/receive limit.
But I am also confused on why its in 3 different places.

It's most confusing when you think of a single-server environment. These controls were actually developed with a larger enterprise in mind. The Org-level Global Settings is for the entire organization, in every site. Then think about the specific Send Connectors: you may have more than one, and certain connectors may be linked to specific Hub transport servers. Same thing with Receive Connectors. The reason this can be configured at multiple levels is to provide the most flexibility for a larger organization, but for a single-server org, it seems unnecessarily complicated.

Intel233, to answer your questions: if the GlobalSettings value is 30mb and the default value on a mailbox is 10mb, then raising it to 25mb for some users makes a difference whether they are emailing internally or externally, but if you raise the MaxSendSize for a user to 50mb while the Global value is 30mb, then they can only exceed the 30mb value when emailing internally.

As far as Connector-level settings, they can be set lower than the Global value and the lower value will be used for traffic on the connector, but if you set them higher than the Global value, the Global value will be what's enforced.

Plus you have to remember that a 20mb attachment actually gets read as a 24mb attachment due to bloat, so the numbers are a bit fuzzy.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back