Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel233

MIS
Feb 24, 2007
US
For 99% of my users I only want them to be able to send/receive 15MB files. I have Org-hub transport-global settings:
Max receive size 15360
Max send size 15360

For the Send connector (org-hub transport send connector) do I need to put in 15360 or leave that unchecked?
I need some people to be able to send larger files.
To do that I just go into their mailbox - mailflow settings and change Message Size Restrictions?

The other thing is if I do a get-mailbox I see my mailbox ProhibitSendQuota is 1.2 GB. I think I was playing with this at some point but if I want it to use the default do I just do set-mailbox intel233 -prohibitsendquota unlimited ? I know in the EMS that it doesnt show correctly and if it show unlimited its taking the defaults.

I have changed my account (mailflow settings to 25MB for both send/receive). When I try to send a 16mb file to my yahoo account (Yahoo limit is 25MB, this is confirmed by Yahoo) I get undeliverable
The recipient won't be able to receive this message because it's too large.

The maximum message size that's allowed is 15 MB. This message is 16 MB.

My guess is you're running into MIME encoding bloat. The MIME encoding process can cause the resulting file to be considerably larger, some times more than 30% larger.

There are some articles online that will show you how to research if that's the issue.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I changed my Mail Flow settings - Message Size Restrictions to 55600 and still get the same error (I am attaching a 16MB PDF file).

The maximum message size that's allowed is 15 MB. This message is 16 MB
The only place that 15mb limit exists is in Org config-hub transport-global settings:Max receive size 15360Max send size 15360

I should be overwriting those values for my account if I specifically state 55600.

For the org config-send connection I have Maximum message size unchecked.

Ok I found this:
Setting higher message size limits on an Exchange recipient bypasses the maximum message sizes in the Exchange Organization configuration, but only for internal messages, not for messages sent to or received from the Internet and other unauthenticated sources.

So basically I need to make org config-hub transport settings to the largest I really want to be able to be sent out or on the org config-Send Connector?
What is the difference?
I really do not want everyone to be able to send out that large of attahments. Is there an easier way?

You'd need to set the maximum possible size you might want to send at the Org level.
You'll also need to set it on the Receive connectors on each Hub Transport.

Then set all users except those you want to have larger limits to 15MB sending size on their individual mailboxes. Powershell is your friend here.

It's a bit of a PITA as you have found.

By default Outlook 2010 will only allow a sending maximum of 20MB anyway. You have to muck about with the registry to allow bigger messages if I recall.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back