Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel233

MIS
Feb 24, 2007
US
I am a little confused with setting limits. In Org Configuration->Hub Transport->Global Settings->Transport Setting I have set the Max receive(50mb), Max send(10mb)
but if I do get-mailbox for a user it shows unlimited.
I also have the Mailbox->Database Management then go to the properties of the Mailbox db->Limits and that is set and again if I do a get-mailbox for a user it shows ProhibitSendQuota(set to 2gb), ProhibitSendReceiveQuota(set to 2.5gb) it shows as Unlimited.
I only have 1 mailbox db where users are. So shouldn't they be taking the limits I set?

These are all different limits acting on different things.

e.g. Transport limit is the size of an individual e-mail that can be sent / received on a global basis but you could also limit individual users to smaller amounts I think.
Will check when I have a machine with EMS handy.

Neill

That link does not answer my question.
Org Configuration->Hub Transport->Global Settings->Transport Setting I have set the Max receive(50mb), Max send(10mb)
but if I do get-mailbox for a user it shows unlimited. I also have the Mailbox->Database Management then go to the properties of the Mailbox db->Limits and that is set and again if I do a get-mailbox for a user it shows ProhibitSendQuota(set to 2gb), ProhibitSendReceiveQuota(set to 2.5gb) it shows as Unlimited.
I then have to use powershell to set the correct limits.

I have the following set:

Organization Configuration-Mailbox and right click on the mailbox and goto properties I have the Limits set.

Issue Warning 1991680

Prohibit Send 2097152

Prohibit Send and Receive 2411520

Then in organization Configuration-Hub Transport and right click on Transport Settings I have

Maximum receive size 15360

Maximum send size 15360

When I do get-mailbox intel233 | list and look at issueWarningQuota ProhibitSendQuota or MaxsendSize/MaxReceiveSize they all say unlimited. Shouldn't it be set to the limits above? The only way for me to get them set is to go in powershell and do:

get-mailbox -organizationalUnit "NewYork" |set-mailbox -maxsendsize 15mb -maxReceiveSize 15mb

get-mailbox -organizationUnit "NewYork" | set-mailbox -issueWarningQuota 1gb -ProhibitSendQuota 1.2gb -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota 1.5gb

But I have a lot of OU's and not looking to do that for every OU.

Setting org level limits will have no affectect on what the individual limits are set to on a mailbox.

Setting the limits on a mailbox DATABASE (Org>Mailbox) in the gui on a particular mailbox is not the same. That's a database limit.

You need to go to Recipient Configuration>Mailbox>[user] and set limits there. You should see the same thing you see when you do a get-mailbox, since the gui just runs PowerShell in the background (set-mailbox).

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back