Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limits of application variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

emozley

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
GB
Hi,

Recently I saw a demo on YouTube of google wave and was very impressed at the real time chat feature. I did quite a lot of research and have written something that posts to an application variable onkeyup at one end via ajax and that application variable is checked via ajax at the other end every 100ms - if it has changed then a response.write command is executed.

So far so good! However in terms of performance what is the likely impact likely to be?

If I am makgin an ajax request to an ASP page every 100ms does that count as 10 hits on the web server a second - i.e. could I inadvertently be launching a DoS attack on my own web server?

Also how many application variables can sit on IIS before it starts grumbling? If I had say 250 people logged into my site would IIS be able to cope with storing that many application variables.

Thanks very much

Ed

This question seems better suited for the IIS forum.

However, My guess is that IIS can handle as many variables as resources can handle. If memory serves, there is a field in the website properties that can limit that number.

Why though do a server call onkeyup? I would think it would be better to do the server cal onlostfocus?

Hope this helps.

"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid."
-Murphy's Military Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back