Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limits in Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyri

Technical User
Dec 9, 2023
US
Hi! I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
So, I'm working with a Google Spreadsheet (Excel) for my job, and I've got a bunch of data. When I hit close to a thousand filled rows, I got a prompt to add another thousand rows. Can you help me understand what's going on? Are there any limits on the number of rows these tables can have?

As you know, Google Sheets is similar to Excel but different in many ways. This link explains the limits of Google sheets and has a link to compare Google Sheets with Excel...

This forum addresses questions regarding Microsoft Office, which includes Excel.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Google spreadsheet is not Excel.
Excel's specifications are 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns.
You are using Google's product, as such, you are constrained by Google's limitations.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Thanks for your replies!
As far as I understand, the limit is 10 million rows.
However, I'm a bit confused about why the question of adding 1000 lines is coming up. Has anyone else run into this? Maybe I should just ignore it.

Again, you're asking Google Sheet questions in a Microsoft Excel forum.

There's no Google Sheet forum here.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Andyri said:
As far as I understand, the limit is 10 million rows.
This understanding is incorrect.

Google sheets limit is 10,000,000 cells.

The row limit is 10,000,000 / number of columns.

So, if for example you have 10 columns then you can have 1 million rows.

If you have 1,000 columns then you can have 10,000 rows.

Andyri said:
However, I'm a bit confused about why the question of adding 1000 lines is coming up. Has anyone else run into this? Maybe I should just ignore it.
When you make a new Google sheet you get 1,000 rows and Z columns to work with.

If you need more rows, Google gives you the option to add them. By default, 1,000 more rows at a time, but if you want a different number then type a different number in the box.

If you need more than 1,000 rows you can't "just ignore it". You'll need to accept that it's the way Google sheets works, and work with it.

Thanks a lot for your response; I get it now!
My apologies for posting in the wrong thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back