Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limits for cable types

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedbartender

Technical User
Nov 25, 2011
US
So I am "daydreaming" of building a bench where I can place my 3 laptops, and then wire everything over to my desk where I'll have my 3 - 4 A/B switch box connected to my BEST Keyboard, BEST monitor, and a few USB ports as well.

My problem in searching online is that I get so many conflicting reports as to limits on cable lengths. So if anyone truly knows the best / real limits for :

Video (PC) cables & USB Cables would love to know

Thanks.

Sergio

VGA video is good to 50 feet or so. USB 1.1 is also good at 50 feet. USB 2.0 is 17 feet without "help". A KVM switch with remote control at the "bench", long VGA, long USB with a powered USB hub at your desk would probably work.
Mike

And if you want the design limitations of the various USB, VGA, DMI, HDMI interfaces, look up the standards specification for each. Cable lengths are all spelled out in the spec for them.

....JIM....

Actually just needed the USB and Video ones, and according to mforrence I feel comfortable with my liomits.

Now I just need to find a reliable A/B/C switch box that houses VGA and USB

Can find a million online, but recommendations woudl be great!

Just realized I left out two important things: audio and video.

So now I realize that I need a 3 -4 port A/B/ switch. Which will need to involved

Video,
USB,
Audio Jack Out
Audio Jack In

Does such a beast exist? Or do I have to go to radioshack and build one (ugh)

Many thnaks

You may have to get one for each connector or interconnection type. I have not seen one that switches VGA,USB,AUDIO, or any combination like that in one box.

....JIM....

Not sure if you are still looking for a solution, but there is a company called Teleadapt. They have a slick little media hub. (TA-7650 has blue tooth or the TA-7600 might better fit your needs.

They both have audio video/s-video/audio/pc/hdmi/usb. I have installed over 100 of these things in hotels, they really are pretty slick and very user friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back