Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting Processor Utilization ON Win2K/MF XPe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykbhardwaj

Technical User
Sep 10, 2002
GB
We have published ellipse frontend from Win 2K/MF XPe FR2 SP3. We are getting frequent high processor utilisation by EXEs and have to manually kill after receiving email from RM. Normally executables don't take much CPU but some how few keep on going in loop and take upto 50% CPU each. Any suggestion how to limit CPU utilization or auto killing such processes.

thanks

Yogi

One article you might check out is CTX867236 on the Citrix site. It is only relevant if you upgraded from Metaframe 1.8, I believe.

Another possibility is getting the Lakeside product, Systrack. The latest version 3.x allows monitoring via Alarms, it can detect events, such as excessive CPU usage and then take actions, including killing the process, email notification, etc. This product is a newer version of the Resource Manager you have with XPe. It has been greatly enhanced, I don't think your version has the alarm feature.

Good luck.

We have not upgraded from MF1.8. I am getting email alerts from Resource manager but then i have to login and kill the process manually.
I have downloaded the threadmaster software and will try it. Thanks.
Yogi

An other option is AppSense....
also great product line with an cpu limiter... etc...

Petje
A+, MCP, MCSE on NT4.0 and windows 2000 with messaging specialty and CCEA

I have heard about appsense and systrack but both needs to be purchased and need approval and other stuff. For the time being i have downloaded ThreadMinder which seems to be working great and i am still testing it.
thanks
Yogi

Threadminder looks interesting, but a bit risky...

Anyone been using it awhile in a largish environment?

I have been testing it on a few production server which were having severe process looping problem. It seems to be working OK. Don't find any thing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back