Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting File and Folder Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmz740

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2005
US
We have a windows 2003 file server. We have several maped network drives on the workstations. We need to limit the users on creating folders. We want the only the admin to be able to create folders in the top level in the network drives and the user would only be able to save files within those folders and not be able to save files anywhere. The mapped drive are getting so dirty with people just saving files without creating folders or creating too many folders.

Use advanced NTFS permissions. You can set the top level folder to be Read Only with no edit. Then on sub folders give Create/Modify rights.

Int he end however, user education is the key. That and tough love by deleting files on them for not being in the right place. (I would copy them to a safe location so the lesson isn't destructive to data)

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back