Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting bandwidth (ie online gaming and streaming video) from a WiFi network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nainci

Vendor
May 3, 2010
US
We have installed several WiFi access points for local motels for them to give to their guests as a free service. With the advent of the iphone and ipads more and more people are streaming movies or trying to play mmorpgs, when this happens other people in the motel are unable to use the WiFi. How can I limit the bandwidth.

Without any details regarding the hardware / software that you are working with, it is difficult to give you an exact answer. In short, I would look for an option in the access point administration interface. BTW, I would be surprised if there wasn't one for this purpose.

I dont see why you cant mark this traffic and then limit the bandwidth. Look at some QoS DSCP docs regarding this issue.

As per Noway has said, it all depends on what you are using.....

monowall has these features. you can limit bandwidth per user or you can establish 'pipes' which can limit traffic. monowall is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back