Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting access to shared drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

scc

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
I have 2 PCs that are running Win 2000 Pro on a peer to peer network. Most of the other PCs on the network are also using Win 2000 Pro.

Here's my problem:

The PCs on the network were originally set up for all users to have administrator rights, and it appears that a user (logged on as an administrator) can access machine A's hard drive, even though the sharing on that drive is limited to a specific user who is logged on to machine B.

How can machine A share it's drive to a specific user on machine B but no others on the network? In other words, I need to be able to share the hard drives on my 2 machines A and B, but don't want anyone else to have access to them.

Is there a way to remove administrator access on machine A and B? Or is there another way this can be handled? Again, everyone is defined as an administrator and no passwords are required. The data on my machines are confidential and am getting ready to do some new hires and I don't know how to prevent the new users from being able to access my 2 machines.

We no longer have a network administrator, as my company was downsized and I'm it! Any help will be appreciated.

The problem that you have here is that everyone is an administrator. By default administrators can normally access pretty much everything. Unless windows can determine who is who it cannot limit access. I would suggest that you need to give people their own log ons and separte the users so you can then define who has what rights.

. Use the convert command to make sure the drives are using the NTFS and not FAT32 filestore.

. right-click each folder of concern, properties, security tab, and remove all permissions from usernames that you want to block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back