Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limited internet connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAMJR

Instructor
Mar 21, 2007
US
I have a Dell XP desktop connected to a Linksys Etherfast Cable router which is connected to a Motorola cable modem. I usually do not turn my PC off since it takes so long to boot up. When I wake it up after it has sat all night, I often get the notice that I have limited or no internet connectivity. I go to Control Panel, Network Connections, and "repair" the LAN. This works, but I shouldn't have to do this every day.

I run ZoneAlarm Security Suite and lock the internet connection when I stop working for the day. 2 PCs connected to the LAN and both have this problem. Why do I get this limited internet connectivity notice?

There are many likely reason for this, but it could lie at many different levels.

Basically, one aspect of your link has probably got "disconnect when idle=10minutes" or something equvilent.

This could be in the connection software on your desktop, on the network/wireless card in the desktop, on the router, or on the modem.
Depending on what OSs', browsers, connection software defines where it will be, for instance, in IE, it is under Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Dial-up and Private Networks, Properties.

But I'm sure you can have a look around in all the different config screens.

Like I said, it is most likely at the desktop end, browser is launching a disconnect command, or the network card has the setting in the config, but it is possible it may lay at one of the network devices.

Let us know how you get on, if the problem persists, supply us with some more details and we'll hopefully sort it out.

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

Neil, Thank you for your reply. In IE7, when I go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, there is nothing in the window labeled Dial-up and Private Networks so I cannot get to Properties. While I was looking for this, my connection was reestablished. This has happened 2 days in a row, so something is resetting itself and my connection is OK.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back