Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limitations of MB in Postscript Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicmanSE

Technical User
Jan 14, 2009
SE
Hi all..!

Working in Mac, 0X.4.11, Quark 6.5 + Adobe (Distiller CS2).

Do anyone know if there is a limit for creating hugh PS-files???

If I try to save a file (or print direct to Adobe PDF 7), I can't exceed the limit around 1,8 GB. It doesn't matter if I save as a PS-file or try to export or whatever...

I tried to expand the VM cache in Distiller PPD, to se if that could help - no way, but now I am convinced that there is a limit somewhere in Quark.

Any hint out there?

All the best to You and Yours
// Lennart

...i assume you are printing to your desktop distiller folder...

...1.8Gb is a pretty hefty file to be crunching through, but i have experienced files this size and larger...

...what type of postcript error are you receiving?

...with such a huge file it could be a number of reasons, usually a font problem will cause untold grief, and rarely an eps graphic or bitmap image, even an imported PDF file could have the thing falling over...

...your best to print few pages at a time and go through a process of elimination to try and seek out which pages might be causing the problem...

Andrew

...a quick test is to print low res images via the print setup as opposed to the full whack, if that doesn't work then it will be a font issue most likely...

..a quick one for that is to replace all fonts with one style via utilities, then print with images, if that works then it is a image problem most likely...

...next step is to revert back to your original file and print small sections of pages...

...if the "press is waiting" tell them to sod off!

: )

andrew

Hi there!

There is nothing wrong with the pages. I can print out the document (48 pages) using smaller sections, 4-8-16 pages at a time, but that is "unneccesary" and takes time every time I have to go through the print process, e.g. the looking for images, fonts and that stuff takes time :)

Yesterday I spoke with Quark Forum and they told me there are no limit in PS-files. However, they recommended me to remove the "JAWS" folder inside the application folder.
Done that - and after next restart it came back, although without the fonts folder.
The "temp" folder still remained in the folder. No success, no luck.

The PS-error shows up with "Empty file - No PDF produced" and the PS-file is 0 MB...

..well the only other possibility might be ensuring the postcript file gets fully produced, it may take some time in the background to complete even if quark finishes, the only way to know that is to "get info" on the PS file and refresh after a few minutes to see if it still gets bigger...

...if the PS file indicates zero MB, this might also be an indication you have run out of hard disk space, check you hard disk, if it is in the very low MBytes you need to free up some space...

Andrew

Hello Andrew..!

Been there, done that... :)
Plenty of space on the hard drive, and I know that it takes time for the file to complete in the print spooler.

Well, anyhow, the PDF came out and I could merge the pages together.

It is just that I know from Quark 4.11/5.1, I could manage files of more than 2.4 GB for some reason. Now I was curious only if it was a problem in Version 6.5 and above.

Thanks for your interest!

// Lennart

I don't your problem is with Quark.

Because like you said, it made the postscript file.

Can you try Printing to a postscript instead of exporting to PDF?

Can you tell us which printer driver you are using?

I also have had no issue converting Postscript at that size.

Marcus

Hi Marcus!

Partial correct, but:

I can't make a COMPLETE PDF nor PS file. The Postscript file end up with "0 MB = Empty file - No PDF produced..."

Neither can I print the whole document to our color printer Canon 3220 with extended Fiery RIP - or to our Harlequin CtP (just for checking).

But if I do divide the document into sections (of up to 16 pages, then I stopped...) - it works perfect..!!!

I have tested both the Distiller 7 and Distiller 8 and the driver is
Adobe PDF 3016.102.

That's it. :)

// Lennart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back