Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limitations of crosstabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalcolmW

Programmer
Aug 12, 1999
CA
I tried numerous times to drop in a crosstab - very basic, with two row fields and one summary field. If it would have worked, it would have generated about 800 rows total.
However, it just would produce part of the cross tab (at least one page - 80 rows). Then the report designer would disappear without a trace - no error, no nothing. This was repeatable.
I using CRW32 8.0.0.371, NT 5.0 sp1.
The data source was a Crystal query with saved data.

Does anyone know if there are limits to cross tab size in terms of rows? Or is there some quirk with cross tabs and Crystal queries? Malcolm

I have noticed this one as well. I don't beleive there is a limit to the size of the cross tab - I am more inclined to think it's to do with memory size on the PC. When I print the report, the cross tabs show fully, even they show as blank pages in Preview mode.

Suggestions?? Try another PC, or reduce the number of records to be included in the report.

Chris Lawton
Chris.Lawton@GoldMine.com

MalcolmW: From your other postings you clearly understand CR well so I only have 1 question - Did the app give any form of error message (not sure if you're using Win2K Pro or Win2K Server but the Event Viewer might give a clue as to what is happening.

I would comment in passing that I've also experienced the complete disappearance of CR8 without warning and without trace when playing with reports with v. large datasets so it may be a memory issue (only got 128 in this laptop and haven't tried it on anything chunkier) David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

I didn't think to check the event log - I had a look, and didn't see anything that seemed to fit, but next time it happens, I check again. Thanks for the tip.
It is w2k pro, and yeah, it was a complete vaporization situation. I just thought that 5000 rows is such a small dataset I wouldn't have that kind of problem. Live and learn - I usually don't play with cross tabs - every time I do something like this happens, and I avoid them again for another version. Considering they have been around since v2.1, sooner or later they will get it right....
Maybe more RAM is the key - didn't Bill say 640 meg is enough for anybody? :) Malcolm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back