Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limitation on access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgeneie

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
SG
Hi all,

I am starting a database using access.
but b4 going into it, i have to make sure if access can
do the job.
i have heard that access has some limitations but im not very sure what is it.

I am actually doing a database where i would input authors, books and book ID ( and maybe dates ). Consider that the number of books may go up to a few thousands or maybe tens of thousands.

I may also use query to retrieve some of the books through a form that i create. ( searching by author, books or both at the same time)

I would like to know whether it can be a server-client system? Imagine a library where there is a few terminers where Users can search for their favourite book at the same time through the terminers.

what are its limitations and mayb u can suggest a better alternative solution for my scenario.

regards

Jgeneie,

Actually Access is the perfect solution for your need. The creation of the basic tables and query are easy enough tasks and yuo should be able to put a form in place that allows for searches. Any problems with the search facility, im sure this forum will be able to help you out.

Access can handle multiple users accessing information at the same time (but not writting to the same record at the same time). There is a good link of info here about multiuser db's:
Good luck!
Simon

On top of everything Simon has put ( which I agree with ) I'd respond to the client-server bit you mentioned.

You could put the tables into one database and all the forms, reports, modules, queries etc in another database.
This is a common Access FrontEnd - BackEnd design. You have one central BackEnd database on the server and you ( could ) have a copy of the FrontEnd running on each machine - this would reduce the flow of form design data travelling over the network. Alternativly you could have one central copy of the FrontEnd on the server and all your users simply run that one copy - this saves licences and disk space, but takes up more network bandwidth.

If you decide NOW to go for the distributed FrontEnd approach then you can start being clever about limiting the amount of network traffic you create.
Eg Opening a form that is Bound to the main Books table will cause the entire table to be transfered to each users machine, over the network, every time they open that form ! - So unbind the form and use recordsets to populate the controls on the forms.

'ope-that-'elps

G LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back