Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limitation of the data displayed in editbox control in VFP7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejanj

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I have a editbox ( read-only ) in my app which i am using to display output commands. Is there any limitation on how many characters can be typed in this control and then my app crash. I am using the readonly Editbox to display AT commands ( talking to modem via MSCOMM32.OCX control ). If the user want to see commands they simply tick the check box but program will always print the AT commands in this editbox so am i likely to hit any boundary?

Editbox is just control and is NOT linked to any source ( table field ).

Thanks

Dejan

I wish I had a definitive answer for you...

Edit boxes are well designed to show the contents of a memofield and a memofield is only limited by the available disk space...

in the scenario you have laid out I would say that the contents would be held in virtual memory and only limited by that...RAM + SWAP

run a simple test...set up a loop and keep adding to the contents and refreshing the editbox contents until heck freezes over...or the app or computer crashes.

keep in mind that it will mostly depend on the environment in which the app is running so test it on a comparable system... Slighthaze = NULL

From the MSDN:

nMaxLength
The maximum number of characters that can be entered in an edit box or text box. If nMaxLength is set to 0, there is no limit to the number of characters that can be entered into an edit box. The number of characters that can be entered into a text box when nMaxLength is set to 0 is determined by the size of the text box and its data type.
Dave S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back